Imagine undergoing a complex dental treatment like a root canal, extraction, or oral surgery. When your treatment is complete, you have little or no recollection of the time it took, the noise, or the discomfort you were expecting. Dr. Battles is pleased to offer his patients the option of comfortable, safe, and effective sedation dentistry. Patients who benefit from sedation dentistry have:
- A fear or anxiety of being at the dentist
- A hard time sitting still for long periods of time
- A hard time getting (and staying) numb from anesthetics
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry allows Dr. Battles to provide a variety of dental treatments safely and comfortably for patients who experience dental anxiety. There are several benefits to sedation dentistry including:
- No memory of undergoing the procedure
- No sense of time while under sedation
- No sense of smell or sound
- No fear or anxiety during treatment
Patients who have undergone a procedure using sedation dentistry will tell you it is a simple and relaxing way to experience dentistry.
I am nervous about being unconscious. What levels of sedation are available to me?
There is no need to be nervous about having sedation dentistry at our practice. You will find that we are both respectful and professional at all times.
- Mild Sedation — Anxiolysis is the lightest form of sedation dentistry and is often used for patients with mild anxiety, longer procedures, or more complex situations. Mild sedation is administered orally. You remain awake or very sleepy throughout the entire procedure and are able to breathe on your own. You will feel a great sense of relaxation. Patients typically recover from anxiolysis sedation within a few hours after the procedure is complete. Nitrous oxide inhalation, laughing gas, is another form of mild to moderate sedation that results in relaxation during treatment.
How are sedatives administered?
- Inhalation — Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is the most frequently used method for easing mild to moderate anxiety. Recovery is quick so you can resume your normal activities immediately.
- Oral — An extremely common technique for dental sedation is oral sedation. It is easy and does not require the use of needles. You will be given a prescription for a pill to be taken about an hour before your appointment. Typicall you will feel fully relaxed by the time you arrive at our office.
Please contact Battles Dental Studio to schedule a consultation to learn more about sedation dentistry and tofind out which sedation dentistry method may be right for you.